RUSHING CEMETERY, OZARK, ILLINOIS
This cemetery is located about a mile east of Ozark, Illinois. It formerly
was a community church cemetery but the church no longer remains. The cemetery
is well maintained. This cemetery was recorded on October 11, 1997, in the
early morming hours before the annual Rushing family reunion. About 10 markers
appear featureless in morning light because the inscriptions are unusually
shallow. Some of these markers can be read late in the afternoon, as I recorded
two of then when making notes on Rushing family surname markers in 1994. The
markers are not eroded and the inscription could be read easily if a charcoal
rubbing is done. These markers are old enough to have been recorded in the
previous survey of the cemetery.
Georgia Maxwell Cox surveyed the cemetery circa 1964. Her record was printed
as a pamphlet titled "Rushing Cemetery & Little Flock Church 1850-1964."
Ms. Cox had extensive knowledge of the cemetery and the people buried in it.
Her record often expands names and provided relationship information not listed
on the markers themselves. This additional information is included in notes
below. Ms. Cox recorded the cemetery as numbered rows and noted the presence of
"creek rocks." As with most cemeteries more than a century old which are still
in use in this age of power mowers, most fieldstones or "creek rocks" have
since been removed and only a few in the oldest Rushing family area remain.
- Hildred I., 1896-1993\Wilburn M., 1889-1971, military marker as footstone
"Illinois Pvt Co D 118 Engineers World War I"; dates on military marker
- Lula, 1884-1941 [Cox: Lula Caherine Winters Berry, 11/6/1884-3/31/1941,
"raised by an aunt by marriage, Nancy Jane Chester Rushing and Dr. and Flara
Rushing Cox"]\J. Thomas, 1882-1954 [Cox; d. 10/31/1954]
- Shirley Leroy, 1915-1995, "Father," military marker as footstone "US Navy
World War II"; dates on military marker 11/5/1915-3/20/1995\Edith C.,
- Gnetty, b. 1935 [not found or not readable in 1997; from Cox: Cox: "Best I
can make out date. Hand made creek rock. Beautiful lettering. Many creek rocks
here" -- Row 14, South Side]
- Cora [see Cora L. Burns]
- Elbert R., 3/19/1904-3/24/1904, "Son of Wm. and Rebecca Bundren" [not found
or not readable in 1997; from Cox]
- Elmer P. 1906-____, "Son of W. W. & Rebecca Bubdren"
- Emma B., 1887-1912, "Daughter of W. W.& Rebecca Bundren" [replacement;
- Fred, 7/11/1893-7/12/1917, "Son of W. W. & Rebecca Bundren"
- James Arthur, 4/26/1882-5/17/1886, "Brother" [dates unreadable in 1997;
- Nellie, 11/26/1843-4/1/1907 [not found or not readable in 1997; from Cox;
Cox: mother of Wm. Bundren]
- Thomas, 1873-1959, "Dad"
- Tilda, 5/15/1866-5/19/1892 [Cox: sister of Tom and half sister of Willie W.
Bundren; also wife of J. H. Bundren]
- William W., 1862-1940\Rebecca, 1865-1921, "His wife"
Note: Three markers in the Bundren area are of the type which is difficult
to read except under ideal lighting.
- Cora L., 1884-1909, "Dau. of W. W. and Rebecca Bundren [replacement; Cox:
- Lelia, 5/13/1812-10/4/1891 (fallen)
- James D., 9/20/1957-7/27/1990
- Arthur L., 1/23/1880-10/18/1962 [Cox: Arthur Lafayette Chester, son of N.
L. and Sarah Chester]\Myranda, 5/19/1883-5/29/1996 [Cox: Myranda (Landa)
- C. M., 1/12/1875-2/26/1876 (fallen) [Cox: Chas. Madison Chester]
- Elizabeth Frizzell, 12/14/1820-11/6/1871\John B., 9/17/1816-2/9/1897\
└Martha, 4/17/1862-1/20/1865, "Their daughter" [not found or not readable
in 1997; from Cox]
- John Roy, 1887-1956 [Cox: 5/5/1887-1/28/1956, son of Nathaniel Lafayette
and Sarah Malinda Holland Chester]\Maude C., 1886-1978 [Cox: b. 8/27/1906]
- Loure, d. 7/20/1866, "Age 2 Ys, 6 Ms and 20 Ds" "Dau of N. L. and S. N.
- Lula A., 9/3/1882-2/23/1884 [Cox: Lula Alice Cole]
- N. Lafayette, 2/4/1844-1/21/1903\Sarah M., 3/20/1844-12/12/1927 [Cox
records these as Nathaniel Lafayette Chester (son of John and Betsy Chester)
and Sarah Malinda Holland Chester]
- Richard W., 8/7/1842-1/20/1865 [not found or not readable in 1997; from
- Roy Comer, 1916-1916 [Cox: 2/2/1916-5/5/1916, son of Roy and Maude
- S. A., 9/11/1846-6/10/1873
- W. T., 1/3/1856-12/5/1873
- Walter Thomas, 4/10/1926-12/11/1993, "Father of Marcus Brenda Betty Philip
Debbie John"; military marker mounted on back "PFC US Army World War II Purple
- William T., d. 8/4/1868, "Age 1 year, 1 month and 29 days" "Son of N. L.
and S. N. Chester" (eroded) [age and date unreadable in 1997 and come from
- George, 9/11/1929-4/30/1996\Joann, 4/10/1936-____, carved wedding rings and
"June 23, 1955"; etched picture of man fishing on back of marker
- Josiah Andrew, 7/5/1994-7/19/1994, "Infant son of Mick and Debbie"
- Polly Ann [see Polly Ann Cox]
- Ethel [see Ethel Fulkerson]
- Horace E., 1871-1890 [replacement; Cox: d. 5/28/1890, "Age 10 years 11
- Irwin G., 6/15/1887-12/14/1905 [Cox: "A cousin of Tom Cole, one time
sheriff during early 30's in Johnson County (1934-1938) Brother of Ottis and
son of Wm. and Sissy Cole."]
- John M., 1874-1890 [replacement; Cox: d. 1/21/1890, "Age 16 yrs., 3 mos.,
11 days" "Son of Tom Cole Sr."
- Leila, 1873-1890 [replacement; Cox: d. 5/25/1890, "Age 17 years, 8 months
and 3 days"; referring to Leila, Horace and John M.: "These died of typhoid
fever. Brothers of Sheriff, Tom Cole.]
- Lucille [see L. Lucille Reed]
- Mary N., 1879-1879 [replacement; Cox: born & died 7/22/1879]
- Ottis Otto, 1/30/1879-2/7/1970
- Sissie, 3/18/1856-12/18/1909, "Wife of W. P. Cole" Thomas Chester,
5/1/1914-6/24/1934, "Son of T. C. & Effie Cole" [replacement]
- Thomas C., 1848-1881\Rebecca A., 1850-1945 [Cox: Thomas Clayton Cole and
Rebecca Adeline Chester Cole]
- Thomas C., 1/10/1878-3/9/1949 [Cox: Thomas Curfew Cole]\Effie M.,
8/19/1879-3/30/1935 [replacement; Cox: Effie Robbs Cole]
- William P., 6/12/1852-2/2/1921 [Cox, referring to William P. Cole and
Sissie Cole: "parents of Ottis Cole"]
- Pearl, 12/30/1884-10/18/1970
- Della B. [see Della B. Newton]
- Delphia C., dates unreadable, "Wife of Jesse N. Cox" [this marker is newer
than marker listed below]
- Delpha Caroline, 9/18/1841-4/14/1872, "Wife of Jesse N. Cox" (fallen,
- Earl, 1901-1989, "Dad"\Georgia, 1901-1991, "Mom"
- Ella, 1891-1893, "Daughter of J. F. & N. C. Cox" [not found or not
readable in 1997; from Cox]
- Emma, 1887-1936 [replacement; Cox: Emma Simmons Cox, 12/11/1887-4/14/1936,
second wife of Sylvester Cox]
- Ezekiel P., 12/12/1834-7/30/1900\Sarah E., 5/16/1848-____ [Cox: Ezekiel
Perry Cox (son of Jeremiah and Obedience Holland Cox) and wife Sarah Elizabeth
Harrell Cox, d. 1/10/1923]
- Ezra, 10/3/1911-11/17/1929 [replacement; Cox: son of Sylvester Cox]
- Flora A., 1873-1940\Lewis N., 1870-1949 [Cox: Flara Ann Rushing Cox,
4/13/1873-12/30/1940, daughter of John Marion and Nancy Chester Rushing and Dr.
Lewis Napoleon Cox, 6/17/1870-8/24/1949, son of Perry Ezekiel and Sarah
Elizabeth Harrell Cox]
- J. F., 1848-1914\R. C., 1854-1926, "His wife" [Cox: J. Franklin Cox, son of
Jeremiah and Obedience Cox and Rebecca C. Cox]
- Jeremiah, d. 1868, "Age 83 years and 2 months" [not found or not readable
in 1997; from Cox]
- Jesse N., 10/9/1838-5/20/1902 (broken) [Masonic symbol; Cox: Son of
Jeremiah and Obedience Cox]
- Jewel, 3/8/1911-10/29/1932 [Cox: Jewel Glen Cox, son of Dr. L. N. and Flara
- Lizzie, 1869-1870, "Daughter of J. F. & R. C. Cox"
- Louisa, 4/30/1885-10/20/1885, "Dau. of J. N. & Nancy Cox" [Cox:
daughter of Jessie and Nancy Reeves Cox]
- Mary O. [see Mary O. Rushing]
- Maude, 9/20/1914-10/8/1929 [replacement; Cox: daughter of Sylvester
- Minnie F., 9/4/1882-11/24/1949 [Cox: Minnie frances Cox, daughter of Perry;
"Grandchildren of Perry bought her a rock 5-23-1964"]
- Nancy, 5/20/1849-11/4/1926, "Wife of Jessie N. Cox" [Cox notes her to be
"second wife" and in another note to be Nancy Reeves Cox]
- Nancy E. [see Nancy E. Lawrence]
- Obedience, d. 5/4/1868, "Age 6 years 9 months and 13 days," "Daughter of
Jeremiah and Sarah H." [not found or not readable in 1997; from Cox]
- Obedience Holland, d. 12/16/1854, "Age 42 Y., 3 M. and 16 D" "Wife of
Jeremiah Cox" [her name is not readable in 1997 although the dates, age, and
relationship are very clear; identified from Cox]
- Pernetha L., 1887-1963 [Cox: 1/4/1887-9/20/1963, third wife of Sylvester
- Polly Ann, 10/23/1888-4/1/1925, "His Wife" "Mother" [Cox: Polly Ann Choate,
first wife of Sylvester Cox]\Sylvester, 9/17/1888-3/4/1972, "Father"
- Sarah H., 1808-1892 [not found or not readable in 1997; from Cox who notes
her to be last wife of Jeremiah]
- Sarah M., 2/4/1881-3/19/1881, "Dau. of E. P. & S. E. Cox" [dates
unreadable in 1997 and come from Cox]
- Stella [see Stella Cox Jennings]
- Wm., Jr., no dates, "Son of W. & R. M. Cox" [Cox: d. 12/11/1916]
- William H., 11/22/1868-3/1/1869, "Son of Perry and S. E. Cox'
Note: several white marble Cox family markers were too eroded to read in
- Ernest, 1894-1946 [Cox: son-in-law of John Henry Rushing
5/7/1894-3/22/1946]\Martha, 1903-1994, temporary marker recorded in 1994,
"Martha Venus Curtner" 7/29/1903-5/27/1994
- Catherine, no dates (homemade) [Cox: Rebecca Catherine Rushing Duncan,
3/18/1826-3/30/1899; Cox notes her and David to be parents of Mary Ann Duncan
- David, 1/1/1824-1/14/1875 (eroded) [Masonic symbol; adjacent to marker for
Catherine Duncan; identifiable but too eroded to read in 1997; from Cox]
- Mary Ann [see Mary Winters]
- Samuel, d. 11/13/1867, "Age 51 yrs & 28 days" "Capt." "Co. A. 15th Ky.
- Nancy Jane [see Nannie A. Rushing]
- Norma Louise Tripp Durham, 5/20/1933-____
- Bessie, 1923-1946 (homemade)
- Burder, no dates, military marker, "Co. I. 7th Ill Cav." [Cox: Will's
- Ernest, d. 11/9/1973, temporary marker, 2 feet south of marker for Bessie
- Fannie, 1886-1946 (homemade)
- Will Elder, 6/27/1877-3/31/1959 [not found in 1997; from Cox who noted
Fannie to have been his wife and Bessie to have been their daughter]
- Elizabeth [see Elizabeth Frizzell Chester]
- F. A., 9/2/1906-9/3/1906, "Son of L. H. & Lucy Frizzell" (eroded) [this
north face of a double marker is almost unreadable in 1997; the south face
cannot be read in 1997; marker is 5 feet south of the double marker for Nathan
B. and Ethel Rushing]
- Henry, d. 2/7/1863, "Age 3 yrs., 8 mos. and 29 days" (eroded) [identifiable
but not readable in 1997; information from Cox]
- J. T., 8/15/1827-2/17/1876 [Cox: Jim's parents. Jim buried at Anna,
- John N., 10/2/1852-10/10/1868 (eroded)
- Lucy Rushing, 12/4/1885-9/11/1906 [not found or not readable in 1997; from
- Margaret Hall, 9/19/1827-3/10/1869 [not found or not readable in 1997; from
- Nathan C., 11/20/1853-4/13/1854, "Son of J. T. and M. M. Frizzell"
- Robert L., d. 6/17/1864, "Age 9 days"\Cynthia, d. 6/28/1864, "Son and dau.
of N. R. & A. N. Frizzell" (eroded)
- Otto, 1875-1936 [Cox: son of Dr. Richard Fulkerson]\Ethel, 1881-1954 [Cox:
Ethel Cole Fulkerson, 2/2/1881-1/26/1954]
- Richard, 1839-1912, "Dr." [replacement]
- Ruth Janet, 11/27/1909-____
- Becky Jane, 1930-1931 [not found in 1997; from Cox who notes her to be
daughter of Nora Funk George and grand-daughter of Wm. and Pearl Funk.]
- Bettie Jean, 1930-1991 [replacement]
- Hartsell C., 5/30/1910-6/8/1976\Lenora L., 12/11/1908-____
- Arthur, d. 1/29/1894, "Age 19 Ys, 10 Ms" "Son of J. T. & M. J. Gilliam"
[Cox: Son of J. T. and Mary Alice Holland Gilliam. "Alice later married Joe
Rushing; father of Nat; grandfather of Champ, Joe and others Lucy, Julia,
Siddie Mae, Mark, Charlie & Minnie."]
- G. B., 4/11/1870-4/17/1942\Amanda, 2/21/1872-6/18/1914, "His wife" [Cox:
Mary Amanda Moore Griffin, daughter of James and Letitia]
- G. H., 9/26/1870-6/28/1872 (eroded) [marker and its footstone are in
- Margaret [see Margaret Hall Frizzell]
- Sarah Elizabeth [see Sarah E. Cox]
- Obedience [see Obedience Holland Cox]
- Sarah Malinda [see Sarah M. Chester]
- Bertha, 9/11/1886-8/2/1910 [not found or not readable in 1997; from Cox who
notes her to be wife of Charlie A Houston and daughter of Lyn Boyd and Alice
Matthews Rushing; probably one of the diffficult-to-read markers]
- Carolis, 8/14/1909-4/8/1910 [not found or not readable in 1997; from Cox
who notes him to be son of Charlie A. and Bertha Rushing Houston; probably one
of the difficult-to-read markers]
- Debbix Cox, 1886-1910, "Wife of J. W. Jennings" [Cox: daughter of Franklin
and Rebecca Cox]\Infant, dates unreadable [addition on marker's north
- Stella Cox, 6/10/1888-4/19/1915, "Wife of Frank Jennings" [not found or not
readable in 1997; from Cox who noted that Stella was daughter of Franklin and
- Clydie, 4/11/1888-11/19/1889, "Son of M. C. and L. D. Lawrence" [Cox: "or
grandson of Dave"]
- Dellon O., 10/29/1900-2/24/1991
- Nancy E., 7/19/1872-6/23/1931 [Cox: daughter of Perry and Sarah Cox]\Wm.
Robert, 3/15/1871-7/29/1943 [replacement] [Cox: son of Harrison Lawrence and
Mary Noler, daughter of Jim]
- Orlan, 1898-1899, [replacement], older marker used as footsone "Orlin L.
Lwarence" [Cox notes him to be son of Robert and Nancy Cox Provo Lawrence]
- Sarah, 6/26/1843-7/26/1860, "Wife of Levi Lay" [not found or not readable
in 1997; from Cox]
- Wm. Henry, 1853-1928\Arminta, 1852-1930 [replacement] [Cox: Arminta Rushing
- Alice Irena [see Lyn Boyd Rushing]
- James O., 10/4/1847-12/25/1919\Letitia, 2/23/1846-3/8/1900
- Mary Amanda [see Amanda Griffin]
- Peter, 1871-1939, "Father" [Cox: 2/18/1871-6/29/1939]\Elizabeth, 1871-1966,
"Mother" [Cox: Lizzie Morris, b. 8/1/1871]
- Grace, 1904-1979\Alexander, 1904-1993
- Harriet S., 1838-1903\George W., 1838-1897 [replacement]
- Della B., 1885-1945, "Mother" [Cox: 12/26/1885-5/14/1945; Della was
daughter of Perry E. and Sarah M. Cox]\Miles, 1866-1946, "Father" [Cox:
- Nona, 1892-1909 [replacement; Cox: child of Harsh and Nancy Cox Provo]
- Betty [see Bettie Rushing]
- W. Harry, 1905-1973\L. Lucille, 1906-1949 [Cox: Lucille Cole Reed,
- Charlie L., d. 3/26/1872, "Aged 4 M. & 28 D." "Son of W. J. and L.
- Elijah, d. 8/23/1892, "Age 74 Ys 4 Ms 5 Ds"\Nancy, d. 2/22/1881, "Age 62"
"Wife of Elijah Reeves" [dates are unreadable in 1997 and come from
Cox]\Lucinda, d. 8/11/1892, "Aged 15 Ys 10 Ms 5 Ds"
- Henry A., d. 11/18/1881 [not found or not readable in 1997; from Cox]
- John W., d/ 7/26/1896, "Age 16" [not found or not readable in 1997; from
- Nancy [see Nancy Rushing]
- William J., d. 11/18/1881, "Age 2 years, 11 months and 21 days" "Son of W.
J. & R. L. Reeves" (eroded) [dates and age from Cox]
- William J., 8/10/1894, "Age 15 Yrs. 3 Ms. 10 Days" [Cox: "probably typhoid
- Willie J., 2/3/1895-6/28/1896, "Son of W. J. and Maggie Brown Reeves"
- John, 1853-1918\Emaline, 1862-1937
- Ida N., 10/13/1897-____\Herbert L. , 6/2/1893-3/26/1962, "Married Apr. 7,
1916" [Cox: son of Alonzo and Eliza Watkins Rodgers]
- Lee Roy, 1917-1940 [Cox: Son of Herbert & Ida Rodgers]
- Abraham W., 2/12/1829-12/15/1875 (fallen, eroded)
- Arminta [see Arminta Marshall]
- Bertha [see Bertha Houston]
- Bettie, 1860-1946, "Mother"\John W., 1856-1935, "Father" [Odd Fellows
symbol; Cox: Betty Reed Rushing, 5/6/1860-6/17/1946 and John William Rushing,
son of Wilson Rushing, 7/24/1856-3/2/1935; Wilson son of Nathaniel
- Bobby L., 10/5/1927-____\Betty J., 2/29/1936-1/11/1989
- Charles H., 1905-1975\Vera Mae, 1907-1986
- Claudius, 4/27/1885-9/12/1899 [not found or not readable in 1997; from Cox
who notes him to be son of Richard and Belle Lawrence Rushing]
- Francis M., 6/9/1860-6/1887\Roland D., 4/23/1862-1/16/1909 (lichen covered)
[unreadable in 1997 because of lichen cover; information from Cox; Cox noted
that Roland's wife, Elizabeth M. Woodside Rushing is buried beside him. "Name
never was put on rock with him and his brother."]
- Frank M., 8/8/1865-5/3/1886, "Son of J. M. & Jane Rushing"
- George W., 11/15/1863-9/26/1929 [Cox: George Washington Rushing, son of
John and Nancy Jane Chester Rushing]\Nannie A., 11/22/1867-7/18/1947, "His
Wife" [Cox: Nancy Jane Dunn Rushing]
- Guy, 8/8/1883-8/19/1887, "Son of R. D. & M. E. Rushing" [Cox: Son of
Roland and Elizabeth M. Woodside Rushing]
- Henry, 1876-1954 [Cox: John Henry Rushing, youngest son of John Marion and
Nancy Jane Chester Rushing, 6/20/1876-2/9/1954]\Orlena, 1881-1957 [Cox: Mary
Orlena Smith Rushing, 5/17/1881-11/5/1957]
- Infant, born & died 5/8/1909, "Son of L. B. & Mary Rushing"
(eroded) [death year unreadable in 1997 and comes from Cox]
- J. Lee, 8/24/1912-____\Mary Frances, 4/15/1915
- James H., 7/23/1832-5/8/1862, "Co. B. 91st Ill. Vol." (eroded) [dates are
unreadable in 1997 and come from Cox]
- John, 1834-1875, "Father"\Jane, 1839-1931, "Mother" [replacement] [Cox:
John Marion Rushing and wife Nancy Jane Chester Rushing; Cox's dates for Jane
- John M., 3/23/1834-10/4/1875 (eroded)
- Lucy [see Lucy Rushing Frizzell]
- Lucy A., 1/18/1883-4/12/1896
- Lyn Boyd, 5/8/1860-2/8/1922 [Cox: "His parents, Wm. and Elza buried at
Robinson, Old part."]\unreadable, 6/9/1865-6/29/1905 [Cox: Alice Irena Matthews
- Marie, 4/24/1899-3/5/1900, "Dau. of J. H. & O. Rushing" [Cox: Janie
Marie Rushing, daughter of John Henry and Orlena Rushing]
- Mary E., 3/8/1861-8/14/1878, "Dau. of J. M. & Jane Rushing" [Cox: Mary
Ellen Rushing, daughter of John Marion Rushing and Nancy Jane Chester
- Mary O., 1877-1936 [replacement]; also old temporary marker with dates
1/6/1877-1/10/1936 [Cox: Mary Obedience Cox Rushing, second wife of Lyn Boyd
- Minnie M., 7/23/1884-10/3/1887, "Dau. of J. W. & M. E. Rushing"
(eroded) [Cox: daughter of Johnny and Betty Rushing]
- Nathan B., 12/17/1889-11/2/1978\Ethel, 3/25/1894-12/14/1981
- Nathan L., 3/17/1866-8/12/1873, "Son of J. M. & J. Rushing" [Cox; son
of John Marion and Nancy Chester Rushing]
- Rebecca Catherine [see Catherine Duncan]
- Thomas D., 3/12/1870-12/26/1870, "Son of J. M. & J. Rushing" (eroded)
[dates unreadable in 1997 and come from Cox; Cox: son of John Marion Rushing
and Nancy Jane Chester Rushing]
- William M., 2/5/1831-12/25/1868, "Co. K. Ill. Inf." [Cox: Wm. Marion
Rushing, son of Nathan and Mary Beal Rushing. "Father of Thomas and grandfather
of Tom's son, Eric Vance Rushing of Clovis, New Mexico, who has Eric II, who
has Eric III. Eric put up a new monument for him July 1963."]
- Emma [see Emma Cox]
- Sarah E., 11/13/1912-____
- V., 7/21/1882-3/20/1937, "Father"\Faye, 7/26/1884-7/8/1973, "Mother"
- Eldon, 10/10/1910-10/9/1967. "Brother"
- Geraldine, 5/3/1923-____, "Sister"
- Mary Orlena [see Orlena Rushing]
- John B., 1851-1952 [Cox: son-in law of Renschulers]\Mary E., 1894-1984
- Kelly D., 7/18/1938-10/13/1990, "Brother"\Esdon D., 8/25/1943-10/29/1977,
- Michael Wayne, 1968-1968
- Tressie D., 1919-____\Wilford L., 1911-1982
- Darrell Oran, 1934-1939 [replacement; Cox: 7/31/1934-2/6/1939, son of Oran
and Mary Rushing Tripp]
- Mary Jane, 1945-1945 [replacement; Cox: born & died, 1/28/1945,
daughter of Oran and Mary Rushing Tripp]
- Norma Louise Tripp Durham, 5/20/1933-____
- Oram M., 11/12/1900-6/23/1992\Alice Mae, 1/12/1911-2/7/1992, "Married June
- Blanche E., 2/24/1898-4/28/1959, "Sister"\Mary J., 4.14.1909-4/19/1988,
- Lola M., 1876-1969\Frank A., 1876-1967
- Tillford, 1903-1906 [replacement; Cox: son of Frank and Lola Cole
- Wm. Earl, 1929-1930 [replacement]
- Charles Thomas, 3/13/1930-7/28/1985, "We miss you dad & paw paw"
- L. Lorene, 2/29/1904-2/15/1984, "Mother"\Fred, 2/5/1905-3/10/1984,
- Mabel, 4/14/1909-5/5/1977\Roy F., 10/13/1902-8/16/1965
- Jame Roy, 9/3/1944-9/4/1944, "Son of Robert & Fay Wiley" [Cox: son of
Rev. Robert and Faye Chester Wiley]]
- Maude, 11/10/1898-4/19/1915, "Daughter of J. L. & Josie Winkler"
- Jackson, d. 1/10/1892 (homemade) [Cox: 8/30/1855-1/10/1892]
- Mary Ann, d. 1/4/1892 (homemade)
- Robert D., 3/29/1883-7/31/1883, "Son of Jack and Mary Winters" (broken,
fallen, eroded) [identifiable but unreadable in 1997; dates and relationship
from Cox, who notes him to be Robert David Winters; 1 yard north of marker for
William A. Winters]
- William A., d. 12/31/1891 (homemade) [Cox notes him to be son of Jackson
and Mary Ann Winters. "These parents and child all died of typhoid, leaving 3
orphan girls: Lula, reared by an aunt by marriage, Mrs. John Rushing and Dr. L.
N. Cox families. Bertha was reared by a grand-parent by marriage, Wm. Marion or
Fannie edmondson Rushing. Edna was raised by an aunt Amelia Duncan Hern.
(Edna's mother, Mary's sister)."]
- Elisha V., 4/7/1901-8/3/1879\Helen L., 4/16/1903-7/19/1994
OTHER PEOPLE KNOWN TO BE BURIED HERE ACCORDING TO COX
- Babout, Elizabeth Carson Cover Estes, 1853-ca. 1903 [south side, row
- Bundren, Infant, "Tilda Bundren's child" [between markers for Tilda Bundren
and Thomas Bundren]
- Cole, no name, "Cole and Winters family died of Typhoid: 1890-1892)"
- Cox, Jack or Jackson Mires
- Deboard, Bobbie. [Cox: "Most Southeast Grave. Piece of foot-stone only
marker. Died in his teens (an orphan of Lon Rogers) after lifting a railroad
iron rail. Foot slipped and it fell across his chest and killed him, south of
- Duncan, Ruahama Frizzell, 2-3-1765 D. 3-29-1840, wife of Samuel Duncan and
daughter of Wm. and Nancy Wilson Frizzell. Samuel Duncan married her 1782. "It
is not certain that she is buried here. Col. Everett McMurray, a great grandson
directed other great grandchildren to Rushing Cemetery 5-22-1964 when they
erected the Capt. a new rock in place of the old Gov't rock. W. Frizzell:
1793-1871 and Nancy Frizzell 1795-1875 are buried at Old Horse Prairie
Cemetery, Jefferson County."]
- H.B.R., "Just initials on rock." [noryh side, row 15]
- Infant, no names or dates, buried by family of J. Franklin and Rebecca C.
- Infant, no name, "Lillian's child" [south side, row 13]
- J., "A very pretty shaped creek rock with a beautifully cut in capital 'J'
A grandson reports Jack or Jackson Mires Cox, son of Franklin and grandson of
Jeremiah and Obedience Holland Cox: B. 6-11-1876 is buried here. It could be
his rock as it is near his father Franklin. Jack married Ollie Cover
(11-28-1897) only daughter of Elizabeth carson Cover Estes; B. 7/5/1879. Could
be a Jennings." [south side, row 8]
- Johnson, Sarah, "wife of Harvey, . . . near Cedar Tree and this
corner, S. E."
- J.R.C. "On a creek rock. (Possibly a Cox.)" [south side, row 14]
- L.A.R. [north side, row 7]
- Reynolds, Mandy, wife of A. B. Reynolds, and her child (relatives of John
Cowsert, who is husband of Maggie Bundren), creek rocks [north side, row
- Rushing, Elizabeth M. Woodside, buried beside her husband Roland D.
- Rushing, Nathaniel
- Rushing, Nancy Jane, d. after 1881, wife of Philander Rushing
- Rushing, Philander H., d. after 1881
- Smith, Arthur, 7/21/1882-3/20/1937, "Creek rock with no record on it."
[south side, row 20]