yesterday's tennessee

Yesterday's Tennessee


The following miscellaneous newspaper clippings and other items were found in a scrapbook compiled by the Imogene Oakley. Sources for the newspaper clippings are not given identifiable sources are The Lexington Republican, the Lexington Progress, and the Jackson Sun. Handwritten dates in the scrapbook for the most part seem to be the date of the event being mentioned and not the date of publication. The scrapbook is now owned by Brenda Kirk Fiddler.

Bookmarks to specific obituaries: Fleetwood Ball, James Arthur Bobbitt, L. E. Conner, Erwin Frank Hagy, Walter J. Hills, Jr., Elmer Howard, Ernest Long, Georgia McCall, Erwin Clyde Perkins, Robert Randolph Oakley, Rush Oakley, A. Lawson Roberts, Elmer L. Scates, Devergie A. Wolfe, Jr.,

June 12, 1931

Elmer L. Scales Of Lexington Commits Suicide

Special to the Jackson Sun

LEXINGTON, Tenn., June 13. - The town and county were inexpressibly shocked Friday afternoon at about 3 o'clock, when it became known that Elmer L. Scates, son and only child of County Register C. L. Scates and wife, had committed suicide at his father's home on Jackson street.

He was apparently in good spirits all day having attended a barbecue and in no way gave intimation that such a deed was in his thoughts. He called his wife on the 'phone at his father's office in the court house and told her what he was going to do. When she plead with him, and told him, surely he didn't mean it, he answered and said he did mean it and they would find him dead when they got home. His father, mother and wife hurriedly left for home, only to find him, as he said they would, dead. He was lying by the telephone, shot through the heart, evidently shooting him self immediately after talking to his wire. He left her a note, but gave no reason for his rash act; only told her he loved her and to keep the baby always as sweet as she was now.

The only theory is, that he had brooded over the sudden death of his two year old son eight months ago.

He was born Sept. 27, 1906, and was married to Miss Louise Essary, daughter of Atty. E. W. Essary, in March, 1927, while they were both attending Union University at Jackson, Tenn.

Besides his wife and baby, he is survived by his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Scates. At 'the time of his death he was operating a filling station here, but prior to February of this year he had lived in Memphis, where he was employed in the postal Department as a clerk.

Funeral service was at the First Baptist church Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock, Rev. Fleetwood Ball officiating.

Return to Top

Oct. 24, 1831


Friends and acquaintances of the family are
invited to attend the funeral of

At the home on Maple Street, Lexington, Tenn., at 2:30 o'clock, p.m., Sunday, October 25, 1931. Services conducted by Rev. E. F. McDaniel, assisted by Rev. Fleetwood Ball. Interment in Lexington Cemetery.


ACTIVE--Bob Blankenship, Emerald Sanders, James Lee Wright, Jess Lancaster, Ernest Essary, Jr., Howard Pearson

HONORARY--Jim Lacy, R. P. Roper, W. S. Odle, T. B. Autry, A. R. Wallace, A. S. Montgomery, Will Parker

[Imogene Oakley noted "Committed suicide."]

Return to Top

Jan. 7, 1932

Manager of Gulf Refining Co. Died of Penumonia After a Short illness

Scarcely in the history of Lexington has there been chronicled a sadder death than that of Lester Eugene Conner, aged 34 years, 8 months and 13 days, who succumbed to pneumonia, Thursday, Jan. 7th, 1932, at 8:45 a.m., in the family home after an illness of several days with pneumonia in both lungs. The poignant sadness connected with his death grows out of the fact that his family and friends are bereft of one so young, strong and buoyant in spirit.

Born near Macon, Miss., April 23, 1897, he was a son of the late A. M. and Maggie Dinsinore Conner. About seven years ago he moved to Huntingdon, Tenn., as a valued employee of Little & Dean, contractors. There he was happily married to Miss Mai Henry Gill, and two sons, William Mack and Lester Eugene, blessed this union. These survive this devoted husband and good father. He also leaves a brother, William Conner of Macon, Miss., many other relatives and a host of friends who are deeply saddened by his untimely death. While in Huntingdon, he accepted the managership of the distributing station of the Gulf Refining Co., of Lexington and moved with his family to this place. At once he entered actively into the business, social and fraternal life of the town, winning and holding the respect and esteem of all with whom he came in contact.

He professed religion three years ago in a Methodist meeting held by Evangelist Theodore Copeland of Dallas, Texas, and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church; South, at this place. He was exceptionally loyal to the church, attending Sunday School and preaching services with commendable regularity. It was his chief delight each Sunday to take his oldest boy, Billie Mack, to Sunday School. A Democrat, Mason and astute .businessman, be led an active and useful life. Every good and worthy cause had in him a loyal adherent. Loving husband, kind father, loyal brother, true friend and charitable neighbor his life was a benediction to the world. He was remarkably kind in nursing the sick.

Funeral services were held Friday afternoon at 1 o'clock in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South by Rev. H. B. Vaught, assisted by Revs. Fleetwood Ball and A. W. Lassiter. The body was conveyed to Huntingdon and interred in Oak Hill cemetery with Masonic ceremonies.

R. R. Pafford in charge.

Return to Top

Jan. 11, 1932

Walter J. Hills, Jr., Prominent N.C.& St.L. Railway Official

A death producing wide-spread sorrow here, in Paducah, Ky., and elsewhere was that of Walter Jarred Hills, Jr., age 37 years, one month and 14 days, which occurred Monday morning, Jan. 11th, 1932, at 7 o'clock in the home of J. D. Timberlake of this place. He had been in failing health for more than two years and his passing was not unexpected. He had been brought home from the Fitts-White Clinic in Jackson Friday before his death and, prior to that, had spent several months in Asheville, N. C.. in a vain effort to regain his shattered health.

The son of Walter J. Hills, Sr.. and Mrs. Elizabeth Wetherald Hills of Paducah, Ky., he was born in that city Dec. 27th, 1894. His happy marriage to Miss Alice Timberlake of this place occurred April 26, 1922. Two children, Walter J. Hills, III, and Lou Ellen, were born to them. Surviving him are his broken-hearted wife, these children, his parents, a sister, Miss Elizabeth Hills, and a large number of other relatives and friends.

On reaching manhood, he entered the service of the N. C. & St. L. Railroad under his father, who was superintendent of the Paducah and Memphis Division of that system. Rapidly he rose in the ranks of railroad service and about twelve years ago came to Lexington as trainmaster. At the time of his decline in health, he was yardmaster in Paducah. He applied to the duties of his position in the railroad service an industry, capability and fair-dealing which made him universally popular with both officials and employees. Devoted husband and fond father, dutiful son, loving brother, true friend and genial comrade he filled to the brim the cup of life's service to his and humanity. In childhood he united with the First Presbyterian Church, Paducah, Ky., and remained loyal to its tenets to the end. He leaves to the family the heritage of a good name, and a life, though brief, which had been of immeasurable blessing to those with whom he came in contact.

Funeral services were held in the Timberlake home Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Fred H. Olert, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Paducah, Ky., assisted by Rev. H. B. Vaught, officiating. Interment followed in the Lexington cemetery ______ beautiful floral _____ [tributes?] being on the grave.

Active Pallbearers: Fenner Carpenter, Sam Carpenter, W. T. White, Cecil Travathan, Reece Chambers, S. H. Pearson.

Honorary Pallbearers: W. J. McWhorter, L. H. McDaniel, H. J. Keeney, H. E. Bray, W. R. Holland, E. S. Burnham, W. Luckman, Cliff Hayes, Charlie Irvin, H. G. Johnston, S. L .Hearndon, J. E. George.

Wnight-Timberlake in charge.

Return to Top

June 6, 1932

Rush Oakley Dies After Lingering Illness

After a long and exceedingly painful illness, death came Monday afternoon about four o'clock, June 5, 1932, to put an end to the suffering of Mr. Rush Oakley, who had been an invalid for many months, although he had been up town to a certain extent until about six weeks ago.

Mr. Oakley was born at the old Oakley home in the edge of Madison county, August 15, 1884, the son of the late J. P. and Mrs. Mary Oakley. He had engaged extensively in stock trading and farming since he was a small boy and has owned and managed plantations in this state and in Arkansas. He was at Ridgely for several years and at the time he was forced to give up and go to a hospital for an operation, was manager of large place at Moro, Lee County, Ark., where he had things in hand that would have led to a highly successful business as manager of the Lancaster-Winkinson lands. I

He married Miss Carlie Mae Page, January 22, 1907, who survives him, with three grown daughters, Misses Louise, Fay and Imogene and one small son, James Rush. Their first child died in infancy and their little daughter, Corinne, died August 29, 1930, which was always a source of great grief to her father. He leaves also his aged mother, one sister, Miss Mary and two brothers, R. R. Oakley, of this place, and H. C. Oakley, who lives near Poplar Springs. His family and friends were devoted td him, and he was always well liked by every person, both white and black, who worked for him. He was a good neighbor, kind in sickness, and always ready to be of service wherever he could.

He professed religion shortly after his marriage at the old Ward's Grove Baptist Church, near Spring Creek. During his long sickness he expressed no fear of death, and at the hour of his passing asked to be lifted on his pillow, and when placed in that position, said to his family, "I'm gone" — his last words. A few days earlier he had a sinking spell, and I when he was revived a little said to his daughter, "I thought I was gone, and I was glad."

The funeral service Tuesday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock in the First Baptist Church, conducted by Pastor Fleetwood Ball and Rev. C. E. McDaniel, former pastor of Lexington M. E. Church, South, now located at Dresden, was attended by a truly outpouring of the people, men, women and children, for Rush had friends in all the conditions and ages of life.

Brother Ball had known him long and well and as his pastor had been admitted to his innermost thoughts of life and death and the expressed convicitions of Rush in his last days had convinced the minister that he was truly not afraid to meet his God at the Judgment Bar.

Brother McDaniel had first known Rush at Ridgley and there had sprung up between them a friendship which continued here after Mr. Oakley returned from Arkansas to the end.

A feature of the funeral service was the song, "When They Ring Those Golden Bells For You and Me," by Mrs. J. A. Paffrod — and the songs rendered by the choir were beautiful too.

 Active pallbearers were, John Harmon Howard, W. W. Hay, Walter Hardin, Fred Wadley, S. A. McNatt, Al Youngerman; Honorary, W. C. Fanning, Dr. Ingram and Will Long, of Parsons, A. S. Montgomery, Orvie Dennison and Walter Winslow.

Wright and Timberlake were in charge.

Those from a distance attending the funeral of Rush Oakley Tuesday afternoon were, Mrs. J. W. Page, C. D. Wilkinson, R. L. Henderson, Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Barksdale, Miss Maurine Barksdale, Mrs. Linnie Page and daughter, Mary Frances, of Jackson; Mrs. Myrtle Peeler, Will Woolfolk, wife and daughter, Miss Gladys Woolfolk, Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Sneed, Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Key, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Laws, Mrs. Kate Exum, from various points in Madison county; Dr. Ingram and wife, of Parsons; Miss Eula Mae Ringgold, Mrs. Rush and others, from Wildersville.

Return to Top

August 5, 1933

Funeral Notice

The friends and acquaintances of the family are
invited to attend the funeral of

at the Lexington City School Building, Saturday August 5, 1933, at 2 p. m. Services conducted by Eld. J. O. Brown, assisted by Revs. Fleetwood Ball and A. F. Haynes. Interment in Lexington Cemetery.


Active: Mel Scott, E. E. Butler, G. B. Amis, A. C. Hancock, S. H. Pearson, A. R. Wallace, I. M. Dennison, D. A. Bennett.

Honorary: W. R. Holland, M. B. Hart, Geo. H. Maxwell, W. H. Denison, J. A. McCall, S. L. Derryberry, E. W. Essary, G. Tillman Stewart.

Return to Top

Feb. 12, 1935

Elmer Howard Dies Suddenly

Elmer Howard, aged 58 years, nine months and 20 days, retired member of the United States Navy, died suddenly at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday after at week's illness of Flu, at the residence of Charlie Frank Council, where he had been making his home for some time.

Mr. Howard was reared here and when young joined the United Statest Navy, and after an absence of more than 30 years he returned here some three years ago, taking board and lodging with Mrs. Sula Muse, where he remained a year or so. He then left Lexington, but later returned and since his return has lived in the Council home.

As a member of the United States Navy, Mr. Howard visited many countries and cities of the world and talked entertainingly, yet modestly, of his travels. Since his retirement he has lived on a Federal pension.

The funeral was held Wednesday at Antioch, .Rev. Fleetwood Ball, officiating and the body was laid to rest beside his mother.

Wright & Timberlake in charge.

Return to Top

Feb. 1, 1935

Death of A. Lawson Roberts.

A. Lawson Roberts, aged 55 years, six months and two days, a resident of Clifton, but a patient in the W. O. W. hospital, at San Antonio, Texas, when he passed away last Friday, February 1st.

Mr. Roberts was stricken with T. B. of the throat last year and before Christmas was sent to the W. O. W. hospital, in the possible hope of restoration to health, his wife remaining at home in Clifton to carry on the affairs of her husband. For fifteen years Mr. Roberts had been officer in Wayne county, Deputy Sheriff, constable and marshal ________ town of Clifton — and his standing both as a citizen and official was A-1.

He had been twice married, his second wife being Miss Rachel Small, a Lexington girl, whom he married six years ago, an orphan who had lived six years in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Wright and when the body of Mr. Roberts reached Lexington Sunday morning it was carried to the Wright home and there remained until the funeral procession, accompanied by Mr. Wright, his son, James Lee, and daughter, Miss Opal, left for Clifton at noon that day.

Mr. Roberts was a member of the Presbyterian church and Rev. T. G. Henry, a minister of that faith, conducted the funeral service.

On the return trip from Clifton, Mrs. Roberts, who, before her marriage was Miss Rachel Small, accompanied the Wrights home.

Return to Top

April 14, 1935

Cousins, Killed by Turnover, Buried in Selmer

SELMER, Tenn., April 15. — Last rites for Erwin Clyde Perkins, 42, and Erwin Frank Hagy, 24, cousins, were held in the Christian Church this afternoon at 3 o'clock. Dr. C. C. Brewer of Memphis, pastor of Union Avenue Church of Christ, assisted by Elder B. J. Cantrell of Waynesboro, Tenn., led the services.

They were fatally burned late Sunday afternoon when the automobile in which they rode turned over eight miles east of Henderson on Lexington Highway.

Mr. Perkins was a well known business man, planter and government appraiser and was a World War veteran. Young Hagy was a traveling salesman. He was unmarried.

Hagy's father, mother and five sisters survive. Mr. Perkins leaves his mother, wife and one son and one sister.

Return to Top

Mar. 17, 1935

Robert Randolph Oakley, Aged 62, Died at Early Hour Sunday

Big-hearted, honest, friendly Robert Randolph Oakley, aged 62 years, 11 months and 22 days, is no more. He breathed his last Sunday morning, March 17th, 1935, at 4:10 o'clock in the family home on Church Street. He had been a sufferer from Bright's disease for many months. On Thursday morning he sustained a fall in his room which resulted in serious internal injuries, and compelled his being conveyed to the Webb-Williamson Hospital, Jackson, but the treatment was ineffectual and he was brought back Saturday in a dying condition.

A son of Mrs. Mary Oakley and the late J. Polk Oakley, he was born near Law, Henderson county, March 25th, 1872. His marriage to Miss Myrtle Gant occurred June 13th, 1907. No children were born to them. Surviving him are his wife, invalid mother, one brother, H. C. (Bud) Oakley, one sister, Miss Mary Oakley, a host of other relatives and a wide circle of friends to mourn his death. He moved to Lexington March 10th, 1916.

He professed religion in early manhood and clung to that hope in Christ to the end, although regretfully confessing failure to have lived up to his profession. Devoted husband, dutiful son, loyal brother, affectionate uncle, true friend, he is sadly missed. He never united with a church.

A crowd of people taxing the First Baptist Church to capacity gathered there for the funeral conducted by the Rev. Fleetwood Ball, assisted by Dr. A. F. Haynes, Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock. Interment followed in the Lexington Cemetery. Wright-Timberlake in charge.

Return to Top

Sept. 14, 1935

Ernest Long Killed in Automobile Crash

Last Saturday night, between 12 and 1:00 o'clock, when Robert Winslow, farmer and ginner, living seven miles West of Lexington, was coming home from the Jackson fair, in his car, and had reached the Sand Ridge crossing, six miles from Lexington, on Highway 20, as he was making the turn to the right, into the road which leads to his home, his car was crashed into from the rear, by a car driven by Ernest Long, aged 26, son of W. B. Long, merchant of Beacon, with result that Long was dead before reaching Lexington and Amon Bowman, aged 22, who was with him, seriously hurt in the back.

The next car that came along was driven by Red Hinson, of Lexington, who helped to pull the injured man from the wreck and brought on to Lexington.

Reaching Lexington, Dr. J. F. Goff was called and at first glance the doctor saw that Long was dead, with no visible break on his body, which brought the conclusion that his neck was broken.

News of the accident had been sent to Beacon and before the body of Long was taken from the car, a truck load of persons from Beacon and Parsons had reached here and Long was identified by his neice, a daughter of Will Long. The body was turned over to Undertaker R. R. Pafford.

In making the turn at Sand Ridge, Winslow must have veered to the left, in order to make the short turn or acute angle, not knowing there was a car coming from the rear — and from the effect of the impact the oncoming car must have been making terrific speed, and it was little short of miraculous that Winslow and wife, son and Miss Ruby Davenport, a Lexington girl, who were with him, were not injured.

A later report is to the effect that when the crash came, Winslow's car had made the turn and was off the concrete and that the oncoming car was partly off the slab, striking the Winslow car at the front right door, but states he did not cross the line. . . . [end of clipping]

Return to Top

Dec. 27, 1939


Miss Georgia McCall,, assistant cashier of the First National Bank and one of Lexington's most prominent young ladies, died in the Fitts-White Clinic, Jackson, Wednesday afternoon about 2 o'clock from sever burns to her arms, legs, and body which she suffered Tuesday night between 7 and 7:30 o'clock when a chenille robe she was wearing accidentally caught fire while she was sitting in a chair previous to retiring for the night.

Both Mr. and Mrs. G. W. McCall, her parents, were severely burned on their hands and arms while attempting to extinguish the flames by tearing the robe from Miss McCall's body. All three were rushed to the Brandon-Conger Clinic in a Pafford ambulance where Doctors Conger and Brandon administered treatment. All remained in the clinic through Tuesday night.

Early Wednesday morning Miss McCall's burns were considered so serious that she was removed to the Fitts-White Clinic in Jackson after Dr. Conger had given her a blood transfusion with his own blood. Both Mr. and Mrs. McCall remained in the clinic here at a late hour Wednesday.

About noon Wednesday Sammy Pearson, Edgar Yarbro, Innes Fanning, Hersie Davis, and Varnall Taylor went to Jackson to be typed for further blood transfusions for Miss McCall. This was of no avail because death came too soon.

Miss McCall was born in Henderson County, March, 22, 1901, and had spent her life here.

Early in life she united with the Baptist Church and had been highly active in church and social circles.

Following her graduation from I Lexington High School, she taught school here and then became associated with the Citizens Bank, where she remained until the organization of the First National Bank in 1923 when she accepted a place there as bookkeeper later rising to assistant cashier, a place she was holding at the time of her death.

Surviving are her mother and father, two sisters, Mrs. Ernest Ball, of Memphis and Mrs. Leo Miller, of Scott, Miss., and two brothers, Eff McCall, of Blytheville Ark.; and John A. McCall, of Lexington.

Funeral services are to be held Thursday at the First Baptist Church by Rev. Simpson Daniel and Rev. Fleetwood Ball. Interment will be in the Lexington cemetery.

Return to Top

May 1, 1941

Passing of Rev. Fleetwood Ball

The Reverend Dr. Fleetwood Ball, pastor emeritus of the First Baptist Church, died at his home in Lexington on May 1st, 1941, following brief severe illness from pneumonia and a long, long fight reaching back through the years to the time when his hand commenced to shake and his physical feet began to falter as he went with unfailing spirit about his Master's business.

It was one o'clock in the morning of May Day when Fleetwood Ball passed from this world into that other realm of which he has spoken to so many hundreds of people, testifying over and over, with faith, courage, zeal and joy, his unalterable belief in the Heaven that waits for him who repents of his sins, confesses his Christ, and lives before the world in charity, humility and kindness.

For thirty-four years he told his faith to the people of Lexington, where he served as pastor and then another four years after ill health had forced his retirement. A man of boundless energy, tireless, quick, passionately devoted to his work, during the years of his health he wore himself out in the service of people, both in and out of his congregation, to whom he was friend, counsellor and spiritual guide.

Older people will recall how he used to go about driving a little horse and buggy, preaching every Sunday afternoon to smaller churches in the country, holding revivals far and near, administering baptism, conducting funerals all over the countryside. The weather was never too bad, the distance too great, nor the family too obscure for him to leave a call unheeded, and always he seemed to say the right word, the tactful word, the most comforting word for each particular home into which he came with sympathy which was never perfunctory never blatant, never lacking in dignity. Remembering his attitude in the presence of death, surely there is none, even among those nearest and dearest to him, who can fail to be conscious of the transcending majesty of Time exchanged for Peace.

There is probably no one who could count the number of funeral services he held, and none who could say how many marriage ceremonies he performed. Besides more formal occasions, there were many who used to come to his gate in buggies, later in cars. One or more couples were married thus almost every week. He was writing locals then for the Lexington Republican, and every bride, in his eyes, was lovely and winsome, every youth a stalwart promise for the future. A home, in his mind, had come into being. He believed in its virtue and in the virtue and strength of the young people about to live in it. He must, in his heart, have prayed earnestly for all these youngsters, and for all those, both young and old, who came flocking down innumerable church aisles to receive from him the handclasp of Christian fellowship.

All his life Mr. Ball was a writer. Never lacking when the occasion arose from extemperaneous speaking, he yet carefully wrote his sermons. He delivered them with fire and earnestness in a loud clear voice that carried to the outskirts of a village until illness and overwork had taken toll of his vocal chords. He led the singing. He prayed with fervor and in pulpit always seemed utterly oblivious of himself, save as an instrument attuned to a message of tremendous importance. In the midst of success and popularity such as comes to few men, he was always reticent and extremely modest concerning his own achievements. Nothing embarrassed him so much as praise.

For twenty-five years, Dr. Ball was recording secretary of the Tennessee Baptist Convention, and had the unusual honor of being elected secretary emeritus, after he was no longer able to remain on active duty. For forty years he edited "Among the Brethren," for the Baptist and Reflector. For almost as long he reported the annual session of the Southern Baptist Convention for the Commercial Appeal. He was Lexington correspondent for the Appeal and other papers for years, and contributed much to the Lexington Republican, where he worked on an old brown desk by the front window, writing in longhand in a very small firm script. With all his zeal for the church, there was room in his interest for secular affairs. He was keenly aware of political movements, but he never brought politics into the pulpit. That belonged to his Lord.

Bro. Ball was born March 16, 1876, at Cherry Creek, Pontotoc County, Mississippi, the son of Lizzie McKay and Rev. Martin Ball. He received his B.S. degree from Union University, and was licensed to preach by the First Baptist Church, in Jackson, at the age of sixteen. He later graduated from the Baptist Theological Seminary at Louisville, and was ordained by the First Baptist Church of Paris, in 1894. He served several churches in that vicinity and answered the call to Lexington in 1902. He was a trustee of Union University for many years, and in 1934 had conferred on him the degree of Doctor of Divinity by that institution. No one in Lexington ever called him "Doctor," however. He had been "Brother Ball" to too many people for too long a time for this title to ever come into common use.

He was a Mason and a member of the S.A.E. fraternity. He had been .Master of his lodge, Moderator of the Beech River Baptist Association, chaplain of the Tennessee Legislature, and an evangelist of more than unusual power, giving his time and strength to all their activities with devotion and loyalty far beyond that of ordinary men.

Dr. Ball was married May 14, 1907, to Miss Flossie Melton, who died in 1918. Their four daughters survive: Mrs. Thoburn Holmes (Mary Eliabeth), of McKenzie; Mrs. H. G. McGinley (Lily McKay), of Clinton; Miss Martha Jo Ball, of Washington, D.C.; Miss Flossie Melton Ball, who lives with her grandmother, Mrs. M. V. Melton, in the family home in Lexington. He also leaves a sister, Mrs. Robert Howard, of Paris and two grandchildren, James and Lewis Holmes. He was devoted to his farnily and one of his last services in the church was when he officiated at the marriage of his daughter, Lila McKay and Mr. McKinley last December.

Funeral services were held Friday afternoon at two o'clock, in his church, where the body lay in state throughout most of the day. Chancel, pulpit and choir were banked with flowers, and church and Sunday School rooms were filled with friends from far and near. The Rev. Walter Warmath, pastor of the church, was in charge of the service, assisted by Dr. John Jeter Hurt, and Rev. Clarence Azbill, both of Jackson.

The choir used the familiar hymns, "Rock of Ages," "Asleep in Jesus," and others, with Mrs. Carl Armstrong as accompanist, and H. D. Barry sang "God's Tomorrow."

All was simple, beautiful, sincere, as befitted the modest manner of one who lived and died in humble service to a great ideal.

Pall-bearers were: John W. Stewart, Sam C. Jones, John H. Wadley, Joe Azbll, A. H. Joyner, Connie Sullivan, John A. McCall, Felix Creasy.

Royal Pafford, with whom he had served on many similar occasions, was in charge of arrangements.

Return to Top

Return to Table of Contents

top · home · yesterday's · families · schools · links · what's new · memorial · about

This site was created by David Donahue and Brenda Kirk Fiddler.
This site is currently maintained by Jerry L. Butler
Copyright © 2004 - 2010, All rights reserved